Monday, July 20, 2009

Down to Business...

So, I realize that my last post color was a little rough. The red just made it seem angry. So, I'm trying out the purple. Maybe that will make things seem calmer.

Well, I've finished my first week here in Dundee. And it's been a good week. I've gotten to know a bit of my way around both the city and Hot Chocolate. I feel that I'm slowly starting to find my place, and I'm getting know some of the people here. Which is good. I've moved out of my original living arrangements. Now I'm in a flat with 3 other people. We are volunteers for the upcoming event, Exodus. So, for the next 3 weeks we will be living and working with each other. So far things are pretty good. I'm enjoying getting to know and hang out with these peeps. So there's a big blessing from God.

I don't know if I've actually mentioned Exodus before... or at least properly described it. Exodus is Hot Chocolate's major summer event. It lasts for 3 weeks and is basically and intensive time of working with and building relationships with the young people. My day runs from about 10 am to 10 pm. During the day, we have the church open for the young people to hang out in and use the facilities. We also have some major projects going on, such as art projects, lessons from people on how to do art, music writing, video editing and even dj-ing. And there are periodically trips that we take students out on, such as go-karting, bowling, laser tag, watersports, and other such things. Overall it is just a really really fun time. I'm excited for it, but I'm going to be so stinkin tired every day.

Even in the midst of this coming exhaustion, I am excited to see what God has in store. So far He has been so good to me, putting me in this place and with these amazing people. I'm already learning a lot from them and I look forward to the future lessons I will be getting. I've learned a lot on how to carry out ministry with young people, especially those that have been hurt by society and cast aside as hopeless. Yet, God has not cast them aside. He still values them and He seeks to have that relationship with them. It's astounds me to look at these young people, some of the roughest people you can think of, and think of the potential that each of them possesses. They just need someone to build that relationship with them and to show them the love of Christ. And I get the joy and privilege of doing that very thing for the next 6 months.

Another thing I've recently learned is how much I need to get out of my ethnocentric bubble. In the States, I must admit that I always considered the U.S. as being the world leaders for youth ministry (and many other things) and coming up with ideas. But I've had that idea greatly challenged, even though its only been a week. After talking with some of the people here, I've come to realize that the States are a bit behind in terms of culture. Europe and the UK are very much a post-modern, post-Christiandom culture (especially the youth that we work with specifically) Because of this, different approaches to ministry must be taken. Back home, the youth have not gotten quite as bad as they are here, but they are starting down this path and will become much like the youth here. This has been the pattern throughout history. It's how the cultures travel and exchange with each other. So, it's been great to learn here ideas and practices which can be used in ministry in the States... or where ever I might find myself. I realize that I have touched on a lot things in this little section, much of wish can be dug into deeper. And I would love to, but sadly now is not the time. It's after midnight, I'm a bit tired, not sure exactly what I am saying and I have to get up tomorrow to start Exodus. But yeah, hopefully as time goes on I will have some better and more mature thoughts to share. I am growing and maturing through all this, as I should be.

Things are getting busy for me. But it's a good busy. I'm excited to see what all God has in store over the next 3 weeks. I'll hopefully be able to blog again at some point... maybe on one of my days off. And thanks again for all your support, my friends. If you would remember to continue to pray for me with housing, that would be great. I think things have finally gotten worked out. I might even have some options. But price is still a bit of an issue and I don't have a lot of money to go around. So pray for the right place to come forward and for provision to continue to happen. And pray for Exodus. That students' lives will be touched, that change and growth will happen, and that the team (including myself) will have the energy to keep up with all the young people coming in.

Cheers and Blessings All!!!

1 comment:

Corey said...

Looking forward to hearing about how Exodus goes for you in the coming weeks. And can I say that after finally getting to look at your FB pictures in depth, it was a-maz-ing. You really did have a short stay in Hogwarts, but I guess Muggles can't stay too long!